frm

Your First Vidya Games

So what was everyone’s first console? NES for me, I was probably seven years old or thereabouts. We bought almost no games, so I got good at Duck Huns and SMB.

With the SNES I discovered buying used games and had a more substantial allowance, so that’s the system I played more stuff on.

I also played pc games parallel to this. Wolfenstein and Dune 2 are probably the first ones I really put time into.

1 Like

:horgh:

4 Likes

NES and PC for me too. i liked that ol’ river city ransom and little nemo, and downloading ridiculous amounts of shareware stuff from BBSes overnight

2 Likes

My first console was a Gamecube, bought with money from a summer job, along with Metroid Prime and Super Smash Brothers Melee. I deliberately didn’t get a second controller so I wouldn’t have to play with my little brothers.

3 Likes

We had a Sega Master System. The best game we had was Rambo First Blood Part Two. Then we got a Genesis, and finally an SNES right before PlayStation came out, which we also got. My best friend had a NES with loads of games so we got to play that too.

3 Likes

Last real system I owned and got games for was PS2.

2 Likes

Sega Mega Drive. What a great library of games. Almost everything still holds up, too! Even the Disney games. Last console I owned was the N64.

4 Likes

I vaguely remember an Atari in Bangladesh. First real console I played was my brother’s Sega Genesis, particularly sonic and batman returns.

2 Likes

Our Genesis came with Altered Beast. A pre-Sonic Genesis.

3 Likes

My brother would chastise and ridicule me for letting the woman die and now I realize it was a cutscene and that he knew too. I’m getting unzipped

2 Likes

We had a Tandy Color Computer in like ‘83 when my dad was briefly a computer salesman.

No home vidya again until Christmas ‘89 when an NES showed up under the tree with Kung Fu Heroes and SMB3. I bought a Gameboy a few months later. Built a 386 from parts with Dad in ‘92.

2 Likes

Went from NES to Master System II to Megadrive to… Megadrive Mini. Which fucking rules, by the way.

2 Likes

This game has not … aged gracefully. It’s still good, but it is also from like 1989. What it does have is one of the best soundtracks I’ve heard on a console game. Super dark, heroiny 80’s electronica.

2 Likes

They weren’t mine in particular, but they weren’t anyone’s really:
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga (600)
SNES

Mine:
PlayStation
PS2
PS4

2 Likes

NES first, though probably played a few “games” on my mom’s old macintosh plus around the same time. Had 20-30 some odd games for the NES- duck hunt, tecmo bowl, metroid, ninja gaiden, golgo 13, TMNT, guerrilla war, dragon quest, tetris, etc. got my own pc in probably 5th or 6th grade and played a bunch of brood war, cs 1.6, diablo 2, red alert 2, unreal tournament, etc. my cousin would pirate a shit ton of games and give us huge binders full of burned games, what a legend.

2 Likes

I also remember there being a ZX Spectrum around the house in like the mid 80s (which never fucking worked).

2 Likes

Does Gameboy count? If not, a neighbor’s Genesis, mainly Sonic and Moonwalker.

3 Likes

That Moonwalker game is super weird, especially in hindsight but … it kinda holds up. Generally, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the (original) Jurassic Park game being so bad and Moonwalker being kinda great. JP was the biggest franchise on earth at the time and they didn’t even playtest the fucking thing. True fact: That’s how I learned what a “bug” was.

2 Likes

NES for me. Played the usual suspects along with a few more obscure titles like Solar Jetman (which was hard as fuck) and Solstice. Gargoyle’s Quest II was a particular favorite. The soundtrack was so rad, like 8-bit baroque music. Before that I would go to a friends place and play Eye of the Beholder and Dune II on his Amiga. I saw the Dune movie when I was 10 and was utterly confuzzled.

1 Like

Oh man, Eye of the Beholder. One of my Chinese aquaintances had that on … I want to say an old Amiga. That sense of wonder.

4 Likes