frm

What Are You Thinking: Nerdpen Edition

:scruffy:
I honestly think games peaked in the 90s and early 00s. Probably because I played the most back then but maybe, just maybe because the development teams were a lot smaller. This meant that they could put more effort to reach their some sort of vision rather than trying to hit sales figures by appeasing to ‘the average player’. Stuff like System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Fallout, Psychonauts, Baldur’s Gate 2, Earthbound, Dynamite Headdy and Conker’s Quest just look and feel so incredibly inspired when placed next to most contemporary games.

2 Likes

I’m probably talking out of my ass here, but the thing where every big name game has to be ported to the consoles and accomodate both the lacking specs and horrible tastes of the console crowd has led to a powerful decline in quality. I mean, how many games from the last decade can even go toe-to-toe with Fallout: New Vegas (released in 2010)? Not many.

2 Likes

I think there’s a lot to it. Back in the days you could see if a game had been designed with the PC, SNES, N64, PS or Megadrive in mind. The good games of that era were tailored to the strengths of their designated platform. Sure there were ports but you couldn’t fool yourself into thinking that Red Alert was made to be played on PlayStation or that Resident Evil was made to be played on PC. A lot of the stuff released nowadays is cross-platform mush that can either be classified as dumbed down PC games or lethargic console games.

1 Like

there are still plenty of good games both of you have no idea what you’re talking about

1 Like

We’re getting old.

1 Like

Return to Castle Wolfenstein. That’s a game right there.

you and badger need to check out disco elysium

2 Likes

They say the classics never go out of style, but they do, they do.

2 Likes

Speaking of playing as an old fart, I just ordered a Mega Drive Mini. Project Luna just hacked it so time to live the childhood my parents were too cheap to give me.

1 Like
3 Likes

This is an interesting examination of the programming of the Amiga game Another World/Out of This World and the technical challenges in porting it to IBM PC, AtariST, SNES, and MegaDrive.

http://fabiensanglard.net/another_world_polygons/index.html

2 Likes

This is really interesting. I also love how that game still looks money.

Just found this amazing marketing photo on the SBFP subreddit. This is what everyone here looks like when they’re playing through Duke Nukem 3D for the 300th time, right?

3 Likes

israel

2 Likes