frm

What are you reading? (No Prez Bios)

Since my work schedule mirrors the academic calendar, I’ve recently had some free time for reading again. It’s nice!

Earlier this week I finished Richard Powers’s The Overstory, a stunning book that will truly affect your appreciation of the the world around you, especially the parts of the world around that are made up of trees. It’s a bit overlong and some of plots and characters don’t work so well, but it is essential. This feels like a book that, if there is indeed a future, will be viewed as a defining novel of the early 21st century.

I’m most of the way through Lerner’s The Topeka School right now. It rocks.

1 Like

I just finished “Infidel” by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It’s an angry and measured kick in the balls on chauvinistic fundamentalism and shocking life story and I thought it was great overall.

Just read half of Ishiguro’s Nocturnes and am digging it, he has a very lofi way of dissecting human relations.

:scruffy:

I made it 55 pages. The part where they tried to make being on the debate team seem cool was when I began having doubts.

Marius, do not read this book.

Your takeaway was that he was glorifying the debate team and trying to make it “seem cool”?

1 Like

A quintessential Bonesian take.

No, not really.

I mean, I know there are men as self-absorbed and narcissistic as the ones he writes about, but I don’t care what they think about anything, so reading a book about them and their equally precious friends did not hold my interest. I’m sorry for everything.

:incredulousjones:

Fair enough.

I’m not really a big Lerner guy. You know who you guys should be reading more of? Joan didion.

Could you elaborate a little which aspects of the book make it a defining work?

Buddenbrooks - good shit.

I just read all four Hyperion Cantos novels and the Orphans of the Helix novella. I am gay.

3 Likes

P-Trick will be over shortly for a chillbro j/o sesh (no homo).

I’ve finally picked up a novel after mostly sporadic short story reading over the last 2 years and am halfway through Kate Grenville’s The Secret River. that was a hit here 15 or so years ago.

It’s a novel about an emancipist convict on the Australian frontier, the first 80 pages of the main character growing up poor in Georgian England are stunning.

I think old mate Policy has talked about it.

I’m not sure how it’s all going to tie in through the second half of the book now that the central character is out of Sydney and on the frontier, but I’m keen to see.

Yeah it stuck the landing, worth reading

3 Likes

yeah, stuff it, Welsh.

I just finished Cherry by Nico Walker. The language reminded me of The Average American Male, and reviewers seem to be going gaga for it, but I knew plenty of dopes who talked just like that.

The best bits for me were the parts in Iraq where he talked about how the Army operations were only pretending to be an invading army. Like Catch-22 in its futility but without all the three-syllable words.

I didn’t know this was autobiographical (Iraq war medic turned heroin junkie turned bank robber) until just now. I guess that explains a lot.

1 Like