frm

What are you eating?

I’m eating poached eggs. The king of eggs.

How does this thread only have one post? Crazy.

Anyway, I fucked about again with my carnitas recipe. I thought about Chinese red cooked pork and how they use star anise in the braising liquid, so I included taht along with some smoked paprika. Inauthentic but it turned out really well. I could have toned the sweetness down a little.

Brown 2 lb of pork cut into chunks in oil and set aside (I used neck, which has become my all braising cut of choice in Germany since it’s got just the right amount of fat and flavour, plus it’s always available). In the same oil, cook an onion and 6 to 8 whole garlic cloves until softened and a little browned. Add in 2 tsp powdered cumin, 1 tsp smoked paprika, a whole pasilla chilli broken into pieces, 1 tsp ground black pepper and 2 star anise. Fry for a minute. Then add the juice of 1 orange, another whole orange cut into quarters (with skin), one full-bodied pale or amber beer, the browned pork and a teaspoon of salt. Cook covered for an hour then uncovered for another 1 to 2 hours. Break the pork up with a steel potato masher. Add 1 to 2 Tbsp brown sugar. The liquid will reduce nicely but may not thicken enough, so you can choose to thicken it a little with cornflour if necessary to make it less soupy. Or just cook it longer, making sure it doesn’t stick. Adjust seasoning and serve however you want.

1 Like

I did a downmarket version of that noodle dish from Parasite, using pork steak instead of beef and I gotta say, shit is fucking fantastic. I have no idea why Korean instant noodles are so goddamn good, and frankly I don’t want to know. Ever since they became available here in 2015 or so, they’ve been a pantry staple.

1 Like

Jammy Dodgers. They’re not as nice as I remembered and regret making Tony buy some when he came to London, accordingly.

Got a loaf of banana bread in the oven, the second in a week. One of my most bullet-proof recipes.

Banana bread

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon table salt

1 1/4 cups toasted walnuts , chopped coarse (about 1 cup)

3 very ripe bananas , soft, darkly speckled, mashed well (about 1 1/2 cups)

1/4 cup plain yogurt

2 large eggs , beaten lightly

6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon cinammon

1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of regular loaf pan, or grease and flour bottom and sides of nonstick 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. Combine first five ingredients together in large bowl; set aside.

2. Mix mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla with wooden spoon in medium bowl. Lightly fold banana mixture into dry ingredients with rubber spatula until just combined and batter looks thick and chunky. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan; bake until loaf is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Because I am a Darby O’Gill-esque stereotype, I’m doing up a large pot of Coddle. The house smells of it, and I’m starving, but just a couple more hours to go.

My dad wasn’t allowed have it when he was younger, because his mother saw it as poor people food, despite being poor people.

2 Likes

Looks great. Recipe?

1 Like

Not much too it… Throw onions, carrots, thick cut bacon (the only time streaky is better), sausages, stock (I had ham stock this time), pearl barley, parsley and a layer of thick sliced potatoes on top. In the slow cooker for 4-5 hours. The finish with 30 mins uncovered in the oven, with some butter dotted on the potatoes. There is no real set recipe. Whatever you have to hand, really.

There is a centuries old debate about whether or not to fry the sausages first. I’m a don’t fry man, til I die.

3 Likes

Nice mini baguette.

It’s fusion.

It really wasn’t, but limited in what we can get right now, and I don’t have time to bake at the moment with babby having formed.

a bowl of sauerkraut with chipotle mustard mixed into it

1 Like

Curried ragout of squab with a mung-bean crepe.

grits with za’atar warshed down with strawberry crystal light

4 Likes

fruit cocktail in extra light syrup

Real talk: How light are we dealing with here?

it was pretty light but still fairly saccharine if i’m being honest

This fruit cannery is havin a laugh

1 Like

“tuna” salad make from “Tuno” on club crackers