frm

Streaming audiobooks

Do we have any Audiblebros? If so, is it any good? I’m thinking of getting the one-month free trial.

I recently listened to “Ghost hunters adventure club and the secret of the grande chateau” and it was pretty fun.

1 Like

Why not use a library?

A library of audible books?

Of audiobooks.

Looks like my library app has OverDrive integrated. :cheers:

I’m an audiobooks guy now, possibly because Covid and lockdown have fried my brain to the point where I find it difficult to concentrate long enough to read anything other than posts.

Anyway, so far I’ve listened to:

Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe - Long, but exhaustive and extensive. The books I’ve read about the opioid epidemic (Dopesick, American Overdose) tend to be very similar, so this being well-written and having a different focus renewed my interest in the topic, particularly the first book, which is a rags-to-riches story propelled by the convergence about the advertising and medical industries in the US. It’s been compared to Succession a lot, because of what greedy, arrogant cowards the descendants of the Sacklers show themselves to be in later years, so I imagine it’ll get adapted for TV at some point.

If Then by Jill Lepore - Basically a 20th century history of the birth of data science and behavioural economics. There’s a lot on the emerging of practices of focus groups during US elections in the 1960s but not that much on the ripple effect this new way of working caused, because the author doesn’t have as much to say about how Google, Facebook et al do business nowadays.

Empireland by Sathnam Sanghera - A history of Brits being at it around the world and refusing to take it in the modern era, most notably by the absence of any real teaching of the empire or colonialism in this country. There are a couple of polemics but they’re provoked by the racist bullshit and personal attacks the author has to deal with when he talks about wanting us to discuss and analyse the empire more. It’s written by a British Indian from a working class background who had an establishment education partly via a scholarship, it’s fair and balanced and quotes plenty of people from the left and the right. All the thin-skinned racist cunts who hate looking in the mirror will do their best to dismiss it, but the book does a good job of considering why we still find it uncomfortable to talk about colonialism in this country, relatively easy to avoid it and why that makes it easy for certain politicians to stir the pot to manipulate the electorate.

1 Like