How do you knife and fork

• Continental Style
  • American Style

0 voters

Do you hold your cutlery

THIS WAY

or

THIS WAY

I’m curious if there are any Euros who do it the American way and vice versa.

With my hands, off the floor, like a animal

Jk USA style

3 Likes

I voted continental but realized that I switch depending on what I’m eating and if I have to cut it

The NorAm method is super inefficient.

1 Like

Many if not most of the north Americans I have encountered do this weird thing where they switch hands when something has to be cut.

1 Like

What’s the deal with that?

Man, I’d love to have Erich back for a moment just for him to have a meltdown in this thread about metric forking.

6 Likes

Takes an old man back…

2 Likes

:horgh: Yes! I got into it with him a couple of years back over the metric system and he is still as stupid and insane as ever about it.

1 Like

I always eat spaghooters with my right hand. Do people in Europe use their left hand for the fork, even when no knife is involved?

I mean, this makes total sense. If a knife is being used at all for the meal then the fork stays in the left hand at all times. If the food is best retrieved from the plate by stabbing then continental is the obvious choice. If it’s mashed potatoes? The alternate scoopy configuration is more efficient? Peas? Scoopy mode. Who the fuck wants to stab every pea with continental mode?

Because this is an important discussion, I want to bring the noble spoon into it. More and more, when I eat at home and am eating something like a curry, or a salad with a lot of beans and other small bits, I will opt for a spoon over other utentils. Maybe a spoon and fork combo. Spoons are excellent. The rules obviously might change if you’re eating out, but if I’m eating Indian food out? Spoon and fork.

6 Likes

I have never seen someone use a fork in the left hand to eat spaghettos (except left handers I guess). Some fancy cunts use a spoon in the off hand to twirl the pasta in. I don’t care for these people.

2 Likes

Ya gotta get yourself a spork. It will change your life.

2 Likes

I grew up with sporks at home as well as the normal utensils. Great idea, but less good at doing either the job of a spoon or a fork alone. They’re good for camping.

I use the Continental style if I’m using a knife or eating a semi-formal meal and American if it’s not a food requiring a knife or a meal requiring multiple forks.

Multiple forks? Ooh lah lah, Mister Frenchman.

2 Likes

I only use multiple forks when eating in a 3 stars restaurant.
The (other) Frenchman

3 Likes

Continental. But I hold the knife in my left hand and fork in the right, despite being right handed. It’s a habit from childhood, but my reasoning know is that the fork goes inside my mouth, so I want it in the less spazzy hand.

1 Like

Continental, but like Gorilla was saying, you gotta flip it for the scoop. Do any of you try to balance peas and mashed potatoes and shit on the BACK of the fork like a lunatic? I saw that madness in person and I immediately grabbed the fork out of my friend’s hand and buried it in his eye

8 Likes

Continental is inefficient and leads to excessive wrist twist.