frm

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Motherfucking Barnsy (Aussie Music)

The first one was a resounding success, but by their nature threads like this have short shelf dates. Also, it was six years ago.

There’s something about this song that really speaks to me.

2 Likes

:horgh:

I recently watched an Aussie TV series called Upright, for which Tim Minchin seemed to have access to my 2002 record collection. I won’t sully this thread with The Vines, who have always been terrible and for people who read the NME, but I do occasionally still enjoy this Green Day/Castlemaine XXXX infusion:

how many savage garden threads does one frm need?

1 Like

The song of my people.

1 Like
1 Like

The obligatory

2 Likes
1 Like

Quintessential.

The correct way to listen to this song is to yell “NO WAY; GET FUCKED; FUCK OFF!” every time Doc Neeson sings “Am I ever gonna see your face again?”

2 Likes

Badger allegedly popularised this song among Swedish punks in like 2016. That was the hit of their summer.

2 Likes

:horgh2: :jimmy:

It was indeed a great summer. K-Town, that song, Pokémon Go, getting my first piece of ass smoking blunts with hash, moving house.

1 Like

I like Cold Chisel and Barnsy, I was expecting an Aussie Country AC/DC but it’s really more like Aussie Bruce Springsteen. Flame Trees, Khe Sanh, Cheap Wine and Working Class Man are all solid songs.

2 Likes

I can post some Silverchair if you like.

There’s better Australian bands, but no band sing about Australia better than Midnight Oil.

3 Likes

Though there is only one band that goes to the deepest core of the Australian psyche…

3 Likes

:horgh: 3 x 0.00.

I didn’t watch this earlier, because to be honest, Beds Are Burning was a big hit in the US and I’ve always hated it, and I still don’t listen to it when it is on classic rock radio, but this is an excellent song and great video. It’s an IRL NoHo Hank!

They’ve got a huge catalogue full of classics.

Also one of the great Aussie live bands.

Give me the names of the classics

Probably their second-best known hit in Australia is Blue Sky Mine, which has an iconic clip. The image of the band in the Salt lake is a mandatory part of every ‘Australia in the 80s’ montage.

Along with Power and the Passion there a few other Australian classic radio staples - US Forces, Dreamworld, Forgotten Years, The Dead Heart, Short Memory

Otherwise their catalogue is deep enough that the greatest hits compilations or top listens in spotify are a perfectly good way to get acquainted.

Also as a great live band there are so many good videos on Youtube, I’ve been in a rabbithole ever since you put through your request. Their concert on Goat Island in 1985 is an ‘Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show’ moment for a large number of Gen X Australians.

Other choice picks

3 Likes