frm

Classical Music

2 Likes

Last year, Estonian Academy of Music opened a new small concert hall with world-class “pindrop” acoustics.
I went to a concert of contemporary chamber music.
Philip Glass, Artūrs Maskats, Pēteris Vasks, Iannis Xenakis, Igor Stravinski.
This was the standout piece for me.

2 Likes
1 Like

when i was a kid at summer camp one of the counselors was constantly practicing this piece. he was very good. It was hammered into my brain and I can’t help but love it now

3 Likes

Listen to this with headphones. It’s unreal.

2 Likes

I went to see that last ever concert by Sir Thomas Allen the other night. Songs from the shows thing, but it was pretty good fun.

1891!

1 Like

Never listened to any of Bach’s kids before, these CPE Bach symphonies are kind of great though. In terms of style he’s kind of a bridge from JS Bach to Mozart, who he taught composition to for five months and did make an impact on.

He is probably a bit “lighter” than his Dad, but not to his detriment.

2 Likes

CPE Bach is great! Truly unique voice. His music constantly takes wild, unpredictable turns.

1 Like

Cool. Any other pieces I should check out?

Gary Bach.

2 Likes

Weird stuff. Starts, stops, explodes. I wonder if he had ADHD.

1 Like

Also to be fair, Clance, I’m pretty sure Mozart only personally knew Johann Christian Bach, whom he studied with in London when he toured there as an adolescent. He may have met C.P.E. Bach at some point, but it’s not certain. Either way he was definitely influenced by both, though J.C. Bach’s music is definitely closer in style to early Mozart. It’s weird to think that for most of Mozart’s early life, J.S. Bach was considered stiff and old fashioned and only known by connoisseurs. His sons were far more famous. Mozart didn’t discover the music of Johann Sebastian Bach (along with Handel) until he was in his late 20s, but he fell completely under his spell. In about 1782 his music suddenly takes on a polyphonic richness and complexity seldom heard before, most famously here:

2 Likes

Also check out Gary Bach’s Duo Concerto for Skin Flute and Meat Whistle in E flat minor.

3 Likes

I like how Marius contains multitudes, some of which are NSFW.

1 Like

Taking it. I wiki’d both and got confused. :screwguy:

Check out the Arkansas Bach’s as well, a little known branch. Jebediah Bach’s Incesto Bluegrass trio in B Sharp is particularly fruity.

2 Likes