frm

Chili

Reading through a regional chili thread and I came across this monstrosity:

How does this even qualify as a chili? Any Ohio posters want to answer for this nonsense?

Chili thread

Why spaghetti? If you’re going to mix pasta with chilli wouldn’t you use something like macaroni or rotini?

I’m sure there’s some way that could be defined as a war crime.

Cincinnati chili is one of those things people have to pretend is good since they have a measure of personal pride tied up in it, it’s not good.

1 Like

deepdish chili

1 Like

I like how the chili is barely visible in any picture in the article, and all you ever see is a giant mound of cheese.

And spaghet.

I know for a fact that Utah freaks also do the same thing, except they forgo the spaghetti. Just a mountain of cheese and flavorless meat and beans. Their “Mexican” food is very much the same except there’s a burrito involved.

Lets not let Illinois off the hook either:

I do want to try making NM style chili. This looks great:

1 Like

New Mexican food is almost uniformly wonderful.

1 Like

The Miguel chili recipe, the best I can do with the ingredients readily available here

70%-30% minced beef (ideally do it yourself with two knives ala-:garlicfarm: but having a butcher do it for you is ok if you choose the cuts. Store-bought ready-ground meat is usually terrible here)
3 slices of bacon, chopped up
1 large onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, smashed & sliced
4 fresh chillies, chopped up & de-seeded (I usually mix it up, with a habanero, a serrano and maybe a jalapeno or two)
3 ripe tomatoes or a can of tomatoes, whatever
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup good quality beef stock
Spice mix (cumin, coriander, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, pinch of oregano, bay leaf)
Can of kidney beans
White rice to serve

Heat up a pot to medium heat. Toss in bacon, let that good fat render out. Toss in onion, cook until translucent, then toss in the fresh chillies. Let that all cook for a bit, then add in the garlic. Cook until the garlic aroma hits you, then add the minced beef. When it’s cooked, add in the chopped tomatoes, beef stock and tomato paste. Stir until all mixed together, then add your spice mix. Add some water too if it needs help.

Put it on low, cover, and simmer for as long as you can (the longer the better). 15 minutes from time add in the beans.

Serve with white rice.

Neither trve nor kvlt, but tasty and fairly easy.

How I make chili:

1 onion
1-2 tbsp garlic
1-2 bell peppers or many smaller peps
1 can diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
2-3 cans of beans: I like to use different beans, like 1 can each of navy, kidney, and black beans
1 quart/liter of your favorite stock (I like chicken)
1 can/bottle beer, doesn’t have to be good
1-2 tbsp brown sugar
cumin until it tastes like chili
cayenne pepper until you hate your butthole

Fry the onion, garlic, and pepper in butter, when done add everything else, and reduce all day. If you want to be extra fancy, add a pound or two of browned and drained ground beef, pork, or chicken shortly before serving, as a treat. I am so used to cooking for vegetarians that I usually leave it out.

Serve with the usual chili fixins: shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream, finely chopped raw onion, peanut butter, Ritz crackers.

:suspicious:

Just made this yesterday. Chilli has been a mainstay in our house since the missus and I moved in together over a decade ago. Seeing some of the abominations Pujo has posted above makes me comfortable that whatever standard of authenticity I’m failing, I’m not doing so bad.

No two batches are ever the same, I could easily discharge thousands of words on all the variations and thoughts I have on different ingredients. I don’t make it spicy now since I have two small children, so the heat comes later. My preferred hot sauce is the Tabasco Habanero (or really any habanero hot sauce).

If you are going to put anything beyond bare minimum effort, I feel doing the beans from scratch gives the greatest reward - soak them for a few hours at least and simmer them slowly (or slow cook) till they are buttery soft :salivatinghomer: black beans especially are never as good from the can.

I’m not one to try and load up too many flavours, I make it vegetarian and piling in tomato paste or lots of spices isn’t my style. I wanna taste the beans and vegetables with the salad in my burrito later.

My method isn’t too different from Miguel and Bedford - a ratio of 2 cups of cooked beans:1 440g can tomatoes:1 small onion for the principle ingredients

Sauté Onions and garlic in olive oil till onions are soft and clear
Add some vegetables to sauté further (usually capsicum/bell pepper or mushroom)
Chop and add a couple of chipotle chillies and a teaspoon of cumin
Add the tinned tomatoes and a cup of stock
Reduce
Add beans for last 20 minutes
:violin:

4 Likes

good lookin chili :cheers:

Too thick. Too much beans.

1 Like

You’re doing it wrong.

:scruffy:

To coherent. To many letters.