frm

Best of this shitty year

I’m working out my best of for 2020. In the meantime I thought I would post some individual tracks that I think are the best in their genres. Starting with my favourite OSDM track of 2020, from Sweden’s Disrupted. The chorus gets me every time:

1 Like

And while I’m on a role, my favourite traditional metal track of the year, without question. Shame the rest of the album isn’t this good:

1 Like

Not the greatest year for DM but I liked these:

Honorable mentions to Temple of Void and Nekrovault.

1 Like

Yeah that ToV album is a monster, though I’m torn in whether I like their second album more.

I’ll just put this here because A) I know it will annoy everyone and B) It’s the only album I’ve heard that was released in 2020 and even then it was entirely by accident.

Pretty, pretty good. Fight me in the streets.

I liked that one track I heard off it a while ago. Haven’t listened to DT in ages.

1 Like

As for BM there’s so many god damn bands I can’t keep up. Probably hard to beat the Havukruunu and Fluisteraars albums though. The Evilfeast / Uuntar split was a lot of fun too.

2 Likes

It’s Havukruunu for me this year. Emyn Muil as well, since we didn’t get a new summoning.

3 Likes

Listening to that Sinister now. I always forget how good these guys are.

1 Like

Best death-doom track for me this year was this Temple of Void song:

It was a close thing between this and The Bastard Wind by Stygian Bough, but I love the clean vocals, psych-rock effects and atmosphere on the ToV song. Completely unique to my ears.

Also, the ToV is my wife’s album of the year, apparently. A woman of exquisite taste, despite her marrying me.

1 Like

I’m going to nominate some Colorado BM:

1 Like

:scruffy: Outstanding album.

Also, Micheal- I don’t think anyone here is annoyed by you posting a metal album in the “fave metal album of the year” thread. Haven’t listened to DI in ages but that was surprisingly (for lack of a better word) pleasant.

Just gonna repost my list from the Music subforum:
My Dying Bride- The Ghost of Orion
Cirith Ungol- Forever Black
Bütcher- 666 Goats Carry My Chariot
The Spirit Cabinet- Bloodlines
Havukruunu- Uinuos Syömein Sota
Isengard- Vårjevndøgn
Afsky- Ofte Jeg Drømmer Mig Død
Wayfarer- A Romance with Violence
Malokarpatan- Krupinske Ohne
Temple of Void- The World That Was
Ysengrin- Initiatio
Armagedda- Svindeldjup Ättestup
Biesy- Transsatanizm
Aversio Humanitatis- Behold the Silent Dwellers
Perdition Temple- Sacraments of Descension
Runemaster- Wanderer
Cynabare Urne- Obsidian Daggers and Cinnabar Skulls
Slaughter Messiah- Cursed to the Pyre
Sunken- Livslede
Svrm- 3Ahenaa
Over The Voids- Hadal

Mourning Beloveth/Ruins of Beverast split- Don’t Walk on the Mass Graves

Also, the new Cadaver will probably end up on this list after another listen or two.

1 Like

Ah yes, forgot about the Afsky. That was bretty good, also the Regarde Les Hommes Tomber album.

Listening again to all my 2020 albums. It’s hard to go past the Anaal Nathrakh for album of the year. 40 minutes just breeze by. It’s just incredibly well put together.

Best since Victory Songs:

*Looks up Victory Songs (which rules) thinking it was like 2013 because old and can’t remember and oh my god :abe:

1 Like

Dude. I remember listening to From Afar while setting up a crib for my kid.

He’s 14 now.

Edit: apparently my brain is broken too. It was his first big boy bed, not his crib.

1 Like

What about a top ten for 2010-2020 amarite? Gorilla, you’re first.

Very well. Had to leave out a bunch of great stuff.

Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas
Panopticon - Roads to the North
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Gatecreeper - Deserted
Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
Judas Priest - Firepower
Misery Index - Heirs to Thievery
Yob - Clearing the Path to Ascend
Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

Black metal track of the year for me:

It had to be something from Havukruunu or the Mare Cognitum/Spectral Lore split. This track fucking blazes. Great riffs, solos, vocals and drumming. Man the drumming on this album is so good. The riffs on the whole album are so good that it’s easy to overlook how incredible the blasting on this album is.

Plus, I love that this is their band photo on Metal Archives. Look at these fucking dorks.

6 Likes