frm

Adult Thoughts XXX

How often does everybody take rest days with no exercise? One day a week, two days, three, never resting unless circumstances force you to rest?

Is supposed to be the companion thread for lifting heavy rocks?

I’m just spitballing here, but couldn’t this just have been posted in lifting heavy rocks?

But I don’t really lift weights anymore! I wanted feedback from non lifters as well. I rested yesterday for the first time in a long while.

Welp, that’s much better than me. These days I’m lucky if I get four days a week in at the gym.

every day is a rest day for me, I don’t exercise besides work and walkin’ around and occasionally riding my bicycle :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’ve scaled back. I worked out pretty much every day at the start of lockdown, now it’s more like 2-3 days a week.

I find if I take a whole week off every two months or so, I have way more energy and strength when I start again. If I were a professional footballer I’d like to think I’d be one of those guys who has to train day-on, day-off, owing to me being mercurially talented but having very little natural athleticism. Your Ronaldinhos, your Ledley Kings, etc.

1 Like

I’ve been exercising almost every day since March. Boxing stuff, running, hikes or bikes. Rest days are heavily stressed in strength training/weight lifting but a lot of people who box don’t seem to worry much about overtraining.

:scruffy: It tends to attract nutters with a lot of energy, but I’ve had more than one coach stress the importance of resting at least one day a week.

I know your brother has probably ruined yoga for you forever, but yin classes can be good for both winding down and improving your mobility, if you don’t want to do nothing on your days off.

A lot of addictive personalities too. I know a lot of people at my gym who starting boxing to keep away from drugs or alcohol. I rested yesterday because I was traveling, the last time I had rested before that was around September 20.

Yeah, a couple of my coaches used to be bar staff or night club promoters with pretty :arnold: coke and booze habits.

I lift four days a week, theoretically rest three days but in reality two of those are spent chasing a five year old around, doing yard work or some shit like that. I take a week off from lifting every three months or so.

When I was a competitive fighter I’d work out six days a week, with a peak of 11 workouts in a week. Most of the time just six workouts a week. I’d rest a full week every ten weeks or so.

First day I’ve skipped exercise (running or bags/boxing) since November 14.

I was exercising a solid five days a week for most of the pandemic, which is far more than I’ve done at any point since high school. I’ve completely stopped since getting Lemmy. I’m so fucking lazy.

Gym has been a no-go for a few months so my exercise has primarily been walking the dog. But it’s been -30 for the past week so I’ve not even done that. Vaccine can’t come soon enough.

The good thing about moving to the 'burbs is that I’m pretty close to the woods. I can just go for an easy 15km+ run and get lost because I’m new to the area. Last Wednesday I came across a bunch of tents and caravans so I was intrigued thinking they were hookers, but turned out they were migrants. I need to exercise more though and I’m giving intermittent fasting serious thought.

They can be both! How dare you?

So I’ve been doing this. I had been thinking about it off and on and reading about it for a while, and then in October I had a doctor’s appointment in the afternoon where I needed to fast for 12 hours beforehand, so I tried to see if I could make it to bedtime with no food. Yes, I could.

So I downloaded an app to help me track the actual times, and I’ve been doing occasional 36-hour fasts. I did five of them - every two weeks - from October into December, I let go for the Christmas and New Year’s weeks to facilitate gluttony, and now I’m doing it every week.

I finish eating dinner on Monday night, and then I’ll usually stop snacking on whatever around 10 or 11, and I’ll click the app and switch to ginger or chamomile tea. When I get up in the morning it’s a pint or two of water, and then after an hour I’ll make a pot of coffee. I was never a big breakfast person so this isn’t hard at all. The rest of the day is nothing but tea and water and maybe more coffee in the afternoon but I have to be careful the caffeine doesn’t fuck my sleep up. Wednesday morning it’s more water and coffee and bam, that’s the 36 hours. I’ve gotten as far as 42 hours but that wasn’t really on purpose, I just had shit to do for work and couldn’t sit down and eat until like 4:30 or 5 that day.

I’m not doing it for weight loss. I’m doing it because I read about longevity and autophagy and those things sound good, but even if that’s bullshit I’m still glad I’m doing it for the discipline angle. I’ve learned that almost every time you feel hungry, you’re not actually hungry. You’re thirsty. Or bored. Slam a pint of water and see what happens.

I’ve also had this thing during the fasting days and sometimes the next day where I feel like my focus is way above where it would normally be, but that could be a total placebo.

On days when I’m not fasting I’m still using the app to track how long I go without eating every night/day. Because of the aforementioned breakfast thing, my first non-coffee food is usually between 1 and 3 anyway, so ‘fasting’ for 12 - 16 hours every day is no problem at all.

Also I’m doing Dry January again, so stopping calorie intake in the evenings is simple. When I’m not off the sauce, the evening beers mean that I don’t stop ‘eating’ until after midnight, so the fasting time periods are shorter.

6 Likes

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

So the holidays knocked me off the wagon a bit and I’ve been trying to climb back on. Trying to get back into regular exercise and no/minimal drinking. 5 days on/ 2 days off is optimal for me. Running 5, lifting 3, nothing 2, with lots of hydration and good sleep, which is directly related to drinking for me.

1 Like

I’ve read that it’s because your body goes into ketosis if it doesn’t eat for a while, and the ketosis gives you a boost in focus and energy as some sort of vestigial evolutionary safeguard. In caveman days, you’d be using that ketosis boost to be empowered to look for food.

You can get a similar boost from going into ketosis from a very low carb diet for a while. No carbs makes your body attack the fat in ketosis, and the body thinks that no carbs means it’s starving and gives you the umph like a fast.

Not sure I need an umph right now.